Tamar Building, Queen Annes Battery, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 OLP Tel:+44(0)1752 266766 email@example.com
420 Tuning Information
NEW 420 Mast
During 2000, Selden developed a Cumulus 420 section. Supplied with a custom taper dedicated for the 420, this section is also proving perfect for moderate to heavy crews searching for that elusive extra medium wind power. The new section achieved instant success at the 420 European championships that year.
Why is the taper so good?
The clever part of the New Cumulus is not only in the most efficient stiffness to weight ratio section available, but the custom tip ‘tapers’ earlier and more quickly than any other mast.This leaves the sailor with a tip that ‘holds up’ in the 8-15 knot wind range, but then ‘whips’ above this range. The tip is finger-tip controllable with the cunningham.
As the taper starts earlier, the mast is therefore smaller, reducing drag over the mainsail at a point where the chord of the sail is at its smallest.
Seldén’s 2628 boom is ideal for the 420 being both light and stiff, although some of the heavier crews have chosen our 470 boom section, the Olympus, which is even stiffer allowing absolute mainsheet and kicker control.
We recommend either our 38mm with the NEW Seldén pole ends.
Results1st British Youth Championships 2003
Choose a Seldén mast and you will find many performance enhancing features unique to our products, for example:
- The Seldén tapering system ensures that our tapers are minimum size and weight. This gives low windage, centre of gravity and topmast weight. This maximises your speed by enabling the topmast to react quickly to gusts and waves giving better acceleration, a smoother ride upwind and, ultimately, more races won!
- Automated welding keeps excess heat out of the taper for guaranteed consistency and performance. The weld produced is so perfect that there is no need to mechanically grind the weld (which can induce inconsistencies). This means that once we have finalised a winning design, you can be sure that your spar will perform identically to the champions.
- All masts are heat treated in our purpose-designed oven. This artificial hardening ensures that you get maximum performance from the high performance aluminium alloy.
- Our spars pass through a purpose-developed bead-peening machine. This gives the mast a perfect satin finish that dramatically improves fatigue properties, giving you a mast that will perform reliably for many years.
- Top quality fittings such as our fully adjustable spreader bracket and highly durable cast gooseneck ensure speed and reliability on the racecourse.
All masts are supplied with mouse lines to facilitate the reaving for a rig pack.
Boom is supplied complete with inboard and outboard ends with sheaves, plus three boom slides and outhaul.
Spinnaker Pole Specification
Standard pole is super light 38mm tapered pole, supplied complete with wide based uphaul eye.
Includes kevlar main halyard and pole uphaul, pole uphaul hook, shrouds with swage eyes at bottom.
|Crew in Boat||Semi-trapezing||Full trapezing||Overpowered||Very
|Mast Foot Position
(from c/b bolt)
to aft side mast
Spreader L = 470 mm)
|Rig tension (Loos, on shroud)||38||38||39||39||39|
|Pre bend, natural (no chocks)||36mm||36mm||41mm||46mm||46mm|
|Chocks (15mm), from neutral||-1 to neutral||neutral to +1||neutral to +1||neutral||-1|
|Centreboard||full down||full down||15° up||20° up||25° up|
|Barberhaul Yes/No||Y (over pole eye)||Y (normal)||Y (normal)||Y-N||N|
|Kicker||loose||take up slack||yes||lots||lots|
|Outhaul||hard (15mm ease in
|hard (15mm ease in